Thursday, March 8, 2012

Home sweet home?

Well I'm back, and not quite in the swing of things. After the incredible rush of this trip, I'm finding it difficult to return back to life as I knew it. This trip stirred something inside me and has me pondering some important questions. Am I truly happy? What would I rather be doing? How can I find the happiness I felt the last two weeks every day?

I definitely feel some kind of void in my life. What it is, I can't quite pinpoint, but something is off. I guess you can say I'm not exactly fulfilled by sitting at a desk all day. But could I deal with that if some other part of my life was more complete? I know I work too much. Between my real job, soap, and the occasional side job, I spend too much time working and not enough with my friends doing things I enjoy. That has to change. I also need to travel more. I have a whole new network of friends, and I'm going to make a point of seeing them again. Vacation doesn't have to be a week, it can be a long weekend. If I were to change my job, what would I want to do? As much fun as I had traveling, I did get homesick by the end. There goes my glamorous career as a travel writer. Maybe some kind of outdoor job or something where I get to create. The thing I hate about meetings and discussions is that at the end of the day, there's nothing tangible for me to look at and say I did. That brings me no joy. Do I want to move? At nearly 5 years in my current house, it's the longest I've lived somewhere since college. I do like this town, but is there somewhere better? Is it time to leave Connecticut, as I always swore I'd do? And yet, there's nowhere I've been that's made me say "I could live here". And I doubt there's anywhere that can keep my stomach as happy. In the two days I've been home, I've gorged on every one of my favorite Italian treats that I missed the last two weeks.

Before I left, I knew this would be the trip of a lifetime, but I never expected it to make me question where my life was going. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. In the mean time, I know that I miss my friends terribly.





1 comment:

  1. You look particularly happy in picture 3!
    Life is not so short, but it's still a good thing to be happy with it ... all my best for your thoughts

    ReplyDelete