Sunday, March 3, 2013

So much work, so little time

Today was another busy one. I had to be in Groton for 8:30 to meet with Scott. After way too long, we were finally going to replace my useless struts. Back in October 2011, I had to work the storm center for that freak snow storm that caused so many problems. I left work at midnight after 16 hours on the job, and wasn't far from the office when I drove through a puddle. Only it wasn't a puddle, it was a massive pothole filled with water. The noise made me think I had blown out the right front tire, but I realized that my suspension was jacked. After that driving was somewhat uncomfortable, but I got used to it. Hard right turns were particularly tricky, as my tire would just skip over the pavement rather than stick to it.


"Yeah, that's not supposed to do that."

Where did you go? What the hell am I supposed to do with this?!
After some asking around, I decided on the Koni FSD's over OEM replacements. I plan on driving this car into the ground, so I should get my money out of these. Scott got us onto the Subase (I learned today that that's the correct way to spell it, not "sub base" as one would expect), and we got a spot in the shop garage. It was a pretty cut-and-dry job, once we figured out the right method. That right front strut just didn't want to come out, and then the new one didn't quite want to go all the way in. Several prybars later, we got the strut to go in and the rest went with no problem. I took it for a spin around the building and immediately noticed how much smoother the ride was. Total cost: $9. Try getting a complete set of struts installed at 3 hours in a garage for that amount.


We were done by 11:30 and I took Scott out for lunch to repay him. I enjoyed a smooth ride home and decided it was time to tackle some of the mess here. I put a bunch of clothes away, did some laundry and changed the sheets. Then the day caught up with me, and a nap was needed. I was awoken by a hungry and pestering Ruthie. While she knows the automatic feeder provides the food, she hasn't caught on to the fact that I don't control it, and still bugs me to feed her.

I figured that was as good a time as any to run to the store and get some groceries. I never get around to shopping during the week, so if I didn't go tonight I knew it would mean a week of eating out. I got pretty lazy about the whole cooking situation last year and despite burning some serious calories climbing, still managed to gain weight. At the beginning of the year I finally cracked down and started being better about bringing lunch to work and making dinner. I'm not sure if I'm saving any money, but I've lost weight and have been more conscientious about eating healthier. I miss the days when I cooked all the time and made all sorts of delicious meals, using a lot of homemade and local-grown foods. Starting N'oap put an end to that, but I want to get back on track this year. I think I'm going to join a CSA, it's just a matter of finding one that's reasonably priced and provides a good selection.

Healthy? No. Amazing? Yes.

The cat laying across my arms tells me it's time to stop typing. This week heralds my return to climbing after a bit of a break, plus bowling and soap/lotion making.

No comments:

Post a Comment