Thursday, February 21, 2013

If it's not fun why do it?

Here's everything you need to know about today:


Just imagine that for 10 hours, and you've got it. It was mind-numbing. It also had me thinking that maybe this will be my last Arctic MINI drive. Last year just set the bar way too high as far as scenery and adventure. Whereas last year I was scaring myself on a daily basis and expanding my driving skills, this year I've pretty much set the cruise control and taken a nap. And when you have 10 hours of driving with nothing to look at, you'd hope to at least be driving in a spirited manner to keep your interest, but it's not happening. I really enjoy once we get to town and I can hang out and chat with everyone, so I think I just want to get the driving over with and start having fun.

I did get to have some delicious A&W today, even if I couldn't finish it all. But that root beer float really hit the spot! Unlike previous years, we haven't even seen a trace of caribou. There was a fox in the road today and loads of ptarmigan, but that's it on the wildlife front. Also of note were the occasional white-out conditions on the Trans-Lab. At least for a few moments I had to pay attention to what I was doing.

The hotel we're at is a welcome change from the previous few nights. The rooms are nothing special, but they're clean and the woman running it is just lovely. She was also running the kitchen, so our large group proved quite a task for her. But I don't think they get much traffic through here in the winter and they appreciated the money we brought in, enough so to bring us a round of beer from St. John's. It's made with iceberg water!


Here's a few other random shots from today. I stopped taking pictures after a while because there are only so many trees you can look at. I didn't have an option, but I won't subject you to the pain.

Carl fluffs his beard to look pretty for the camera
We think it was a silver tail fox
 Something about a camera makes people do stupid things:




No comments:

Post a Comment