Saturday, February 16, 2013

Live free or die

One thing becomes blatantly obviously when you reach northern New England: it's the Deep South, but with snow. They don't want the govmunt rasslin' them and the tooth-to-mullett ratio is identical. Blaine told me to give him a call at a designated point on my way up so he could guide me to the house. As I turned onto his street, I couldn't help but notice the "Do not discharge firearms" signs on the side of the road. Really? This needs to be pointed out that you shouldn't shoot guns in a residential neighborhood?

At any rate, it was a painless and uneventful ride up. I managed to stay ahead of the snow and got here with plenty of time to take care of last-second items. Like any good guest, I made sure to bring gifts to my host, namely some CT beer, poppyseed horns, and zeppole. We will be enjoying those horns on the way to Quebec City tomorrow.

Blaine is doing well and looks just like I remember from the last Labrador excursion. We loaded up the Landy and discovered we have TONS of room. There's even a rubbermaid tub just for food! This is why we get along so well :) I also learned that Blaine is the mayor of Rockport. Everywhere we stopped someone, or more likely multiple, people knew him and waved hello. I'm pretty sure he knew every person in the restaurant. I think he's using his magic chiropractic powers to control them.

So the car is loaded, all the supplies are ready, and we're set to roll tomorrow. Looking to leave here around 9, getting us to QC around 4. One thing that jumps out at me is how much less driving will be involved compared to last year. Our worst day will be nearly a third of the distances we were doing last year. I wonder how we'll fill the free time? Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow and doing some catching up!

No comments:

Post a Comment