Monday, February 13, 2012

The journey begins for one person

Today I raced home, hoping to get there before Bob arrived to load up my gear. It's hard to believe that the time for planning is over and we are now actually going. Just as I walked in the door, I heard a rather loud car outside and thought "That sounds like a MINI." Sure enough, Bob had arrived, completing leg one of his Nantucket to Suffern trip. It's hard to sneak up when you have studded snows on. Ruthie gave him a good, long sniff and permitted him entry.

Below is my gear, some of which will actually be transferred to Dave's car, providing us with a scant bit more space. The blue bag is my food, there are two pairs of snowshoes (one for each car), my Sorel's for when we get to the deep snow (ok, they're my aunt's), the rechargeable lantern, two portable stoves, lots of fuel, matches, a crapload of handwarmers, and all sorts of good stuff, plus the compression sack stuffed with a -20 bag.
 

After loading the car, it looked like this:
  
Thankfully, this is not "Arctic" packed, just randomly jammed with crap until he finishes the cross-country drive. Once in Seattle, he'll sort it properly and make sure there's actually room for me (which there currently isn't). I really dig the homemade trailer, painted to match the car. He stood on it, demonstrating that it was fully capable of holding our spare gas containers for the trip. 

After loading up, we went downtown to my favorite store, Trailblazer, to borrow a second -20 bag. Many thanks to Geoff for trusting us with his personal gear. After seeing my compression bags (one for my giant down coat, one for my clothes, and one for the sleeping bag), Bob picked one up for himself for his clothes. In a MINI, every inch of space we can free up is a big help. I decided a basic first-aid kit might not be a bad idea to have handy. Then again, maybe your wounds just freeze shut in the Arctic.

We headed back, and after adding our new purchases and the second bag, I sent Bob on his way. Don't think I'd let him leave empty-handed! No, I wrapped up a zeppoli, a treat sure to cure any cravings he would endure while stuck on 95. Hopefully he has reached Dave's by now. After that, it's off to the mid-west.

It's pretty hard to believe the adventure has already begun for one of us. Sadly, I am not blessed with an easy work-week before I go, and I have a million little odds and ends to take care of. Ruthie is currently draped over my lap, eyeing every word I type. I think she's on to me.

3 comments:

  1. Animals just know, can't fool them for a second. We never get a break when we really need it. May the force be with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't Ruthie fit into one of those compression bags? Take her along, you never know if the food is going to run out. I'm betting the Donner Party will have nothing on you by the time this is over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, I did pick the email that worked. Check out the classy bars we'll be visiting. You can copy me again and make a nuisance of yourself at them.

      Delete