Wednesday, February 22, 2012

We didn't know about the corking policy


I'm sitting now in the amazing lounge of our hotel, The Arctic Club. We clearly are not the clientele they're looking for. Despite the odd looks, we're having a blast and generally wishing we had more time here.
I got up at 5 this morning after a fitful sleep. My uncle arrived on time and was kind enough to take me to Newark for my flight. When I wonder why I don't travel more often, I'm suddenly reminded whenever I fly. It's just a miserable experience all around. But all the stress melted away as soon as I landed. And when I got to the hotel things just got even better.

This place is styled after an 1800's British explorers club. They have pictures of the original members hanging. There's a gorgeous glass-ceilinged dining room and a spacious lounge full of comfy couches. The rooms are very cool, it's a perfect mix of new technology with old styling.

I ran out to grab lunch and when I returned I found Sara waiting. She and Dave had just arrived after some nervous moments driving on the beach earlier in the day. And by driving, I mean sinking and almost losing his car to the sea. Sorry I missed it. We roamed the streets and checked out the market. One of the fish market guys had heard of the race and burst out laughing when we said we were taking MINIs. We'll show him! We had a lot of laughs, and it should only continue as we hit some of these podunk towns. Bob sent word that his car was repaired and we were good for the trip. It's a relief knowing this was handled now instead of when we're in the middle of nowhere.

The jet lag is kicking in and I'm getting sleepy. We're looking at the neat book they made outlining the history of this building and the club. And they gave us chocolate chip cookies. I bought a cool leather keychain and I kind of want the walrus doll. Tomorrow is car inspection and driver meeting day. Hopefully we wrap up early and can enjoy the city one more night.

Some of the intricate detail work around the base of the dome.

The ceiling of the Northern Lights room. This had been covered over and hidden when this was an office building and was rediscovered during construction.

Yeah, they have embroidered bath robes, a free umbrella, and stuffed walruses.



2 comments: